If you have been diagnosed with a colorectal condition, including colon cancer, rectal cancer, diverticulitis, and inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease), your doctor may recommend surgery. Surgery to remove all or part of the colon is known as a colectomy; rectal cancer surgery is known as a low anterior resection. If you are facing colorectal surgery, ask your doctor about minimally invasive da Vinci® Surgery.
Instead of a large abdominal incision used in open surgery, da Vinci® surgeons make a few small incisions - similar to traditional laparoscopy. The da Vinci® System features a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and special wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. As a result, da Vinci enables your surgeon to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control.
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease)
- Precise removal of cancerous tissue
- Low blood loss
- Quick return of bowel function
- Quick return to a normal diet
- Low rate of complications
- Low conversion rate to open surgery
- Better cosmetic result compared to open surgery
- Able to get back to life faster
da Vinci Surgery for Colorectal Conditions