What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric Surgery is a weight loss surgery that changes the size of your stomach to assist with weight loss as well as improved quality of life through decreased complications such as joint pain, headaches, reflux, and a reduced risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Bariatric surgery takes typically 3-6 months of preparation
- Include regular office visits with surgeons, psychology evaluations, sleep studies, etc.
- Work ups for OSA and GERD if applicable which may require sleep studies or Upper GI exams
- Requires peri and post op visits
- Pre/peri/post education on foods
Bariatric options include several weight loss procedures that change the size of your stomach.
Bariatric Surgery Options:
Meet our Bariatric Surgery Team
Our Bariatric Surgery team has undergone extensive training, including Si/Xi Robotic Surgery Certification, and Dr. Medina has performed hundreds of surgeries throughout the last 5 years. With the support of our Registered Dietitians, we work with you before and after the surgery to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
What to Expect With Bariatric Surgery?
- Loss of 60 percent of excess weight within 12-18 months of surgery
- Weight-loss-related improvements in blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels
- Reduced risk of heart attack and stroke
- Increased energy and activity
- Maintain weight loss of 50-100 pounds five years after surgery with diet and exercise
- 0-1 day hospital stay
Bariatric Surgery Pricing
Bariatric costs may be covered through insurance plans or self-pay options, however, not all insurance plans have benefits for bariatrics. We can obtain your benefits after your first visit with our bariatric surgeon, if the surgeon deems you a candidate.
If you are interested in Bariatric Surgery, request an appointment online or by calling 512-260-1581.
A New Lease on Life
Misty's experience with bariatric surgery at ARC Medical Plaza Specialty. Read the full news article: From hopeless to hopeful