"Adopting and maintaining healthy habits before and during pregnancy is not only beneficial for the well-being of expecting parents, but also contributes to the optimal development of your baby," says ARC Ob/Gyn Alessandra M. Taylor, MD, at ARC Center Street. Dr. Taylor offers these tips to support a healthy pregnancy journey:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in essential nutrients to support your pregnancy and overall well-being through proper nutrition. Diet and exercise are part of maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy.
- Engage in regular and moderate exercise to stay active and promote a healthier pregnancy. "Remember, before starting or continuing any exercise regimen, it's important to consult with your physician to ensure that the activities are safe and appropriate for your individual pregnancy journey," says Dr. Taylor.
- Ensure proper hydration by drinking an adequate amount of water throughout the day.
- Take prenatal supplements, including a prenatal vitamin, to meet the increased nutritional needs of your body during pregnancy. Your ARC Ob/Gyn can help you decide which supplements are best for you.
- Protect your baby's health by avoiding harmful substances such as tobacco, alcohol, and recreational drugs.
- Limit your caffeine intake to a safe level to prevent potential adverse effects on your pregnancy. "During pregnancy, it's generally recommended to limit caffeine intake to around 200 milligrams (mg) per day, equivalent to about one 12-ounce cup of coffee," says Dr. Taylor. "Consulting with your doctor is always a good idea to determine what level of caffeine intake is safe for your specific situation."
- Schedule and attend regular prenatal visits with your healthcare provider to monitor your baby's growth and address any concerns.
- Follow recommended medical tests to ensure your and your baby's health during your pregnancy. Tests during pregnancy might include genetic screening, blood work, ultrasound, glucose, and fetal monitoring.
"Expecting parents can help promote a healthy pregnancy by focusing on self-care, regular check-ups, approved exercises, balanced nutrition, and stress management," says Dr. Taylor. "Prioritizing these aspects can contribute to a positive pregnancy journey."
Make an appointment
Let your ARC Ob/Gyn guide you through the pregnancy process, from staying healthy to crafting a birth plan, to better foster a positive childbirth experience.
You can make an appointment online with an ARC Ob/Gyn with MyChart, or by calling the clinic most convenient to you.