The updated Pfizer-BioNTech (bivalent) booster is approved for age five and over. The updated Moderna COVID-19 (bivalent) booster is approved for ages six months and over.
Boosters are available at ARC to people six months and older, based on the criteria outlined by the CDC as of 12/8/2022:
- Children six months to five years old: The Moderna Bivalent dose IS a booster dose and can ONLY be given to those who have completed Moderna (both doses) as their primary series in this age group. The Moderna bivalent for six months – five years is homologous – meaning it is NOT interchangeable (can’t mix and match) – so it cannot be given to a patient who had Pfizer as a primary series in this age group.
The Pfizer Bivalent dose for six months to four years is a three-dose PRIMARY series with the Monovalent Pfizer vaccine given as doses one and two, and the BIVALENT vaccine given as dose three – this IS NOT a booster dose. There is NO Pfizer booster dose for this age group.
- Children 5 – 11 years old: For moderately or severely immunocompromised children aged 5 – 11 years old, CDC recommends an additional dose of the original (monovalent) Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to complete the primary series – a total of three doses.
- Teens 12 - 17 years old: CDC now recommends a dose of the updated Pfizer (bivalent) vaccine to complete the primary series with or without the original booster.
- Adults 18 years and older: CDC now recommends a dose of the updated Pfizer-BioNTech (bivalent) or Moderna COVID-19 (bivalent) vaccine to complete the primary series with or without the original booster. If you received Johnson & Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, you can get an updated Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster.
Note: You are considered up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines if you have completed a COVID-19 vaccine primary series and received the most recent booster dose recommended for you by the CDC.
*Although mRNA vaccines are preferred, J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine may be considered in some situations.
Timing of booster shots: CDC now recommends:
Original (monovalent) booster for 5-11 years:
- Five months after the completion of the primary series of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for those aged 5-11 years old.
Updated (bivalent) booster for 12 and over:
- The new bivalent booster is approved to be given one time two months after the primary series or the last (monovalent) booster.
If you would like to schedule your booster now, you can schedule online at MyChartARC.com or call 512-272-4636.